Thursday, September 22, 2011

Story Profile "The Visitor"


All novels, plays, film scripts and short stories usually start with something popping into the author’s mind on the lines of, “What if?” And after the first what-if, can come other what-ifs, as the story spins off, limited only by one’s imagination. By that process was “The Visitor” born. 

I sat one hot, muggy afternoon working laboriously on a film script. I felt old, tired, run down, a kind of shabby, sweaty failure with a love life on hold. I tried to lift myself out of the gloom by imagining: What if the door bell rang and some fabulously beautiful woman stood there who would somehow be mysteriously attracted to me? Her adoration would transform me into the person I’d always wanted to be - dashing, glamorous, witty and dazzlingly successful. 

But my first what-if thoughts quickly turned darker – writers rarely exist in Disney-Bambi fairy-tale land – and I started to plunge off the beaten track into a different and altogether darker scenario. Perhaps the visitor had a more sinister and significant mission. The story began to form in my brain, and I immediately saved the script I’d been working on in Final Draft, opened Word and began - ‘The Visitor’.



He padded downstairs and became acutely aware that his armpits were wet. Damn it! What the hell was under-arm deodorant for if not to prevent that? Scraggy old shirt, jogging pants, scuffed and dirty sneakers. Let’s hope it wasn’t someone important, he thought, and then instantly: what important? Who important? Important what? Who? Who was important that he knew, and who important did he know who would call on him? There was – he realized with a stab of bitter self-knowledge – nothing remotely important in his life. Except the novel. 

He opened the door without checking through the spy-hole. A woman stood there. Enormous understatement; he was a writer after all, let that be rephrased. A goddess stood there. A drop-dead gorgeous, stunning, more-than-beautiful-exquisite woman standing there on his doorstep……for a second he couldn’t catch his breath.”

No comments:

Post a Comment